Tuesday, April 13, 2010

On Reading


There are those who read for fun, others for information, others for relaxation and there are those who read to escape life for awhile. I like most genre's of books. I have to say that Mystery and Sci/Fi/Fantasy are my favorites because I like the "sitting on the edge of your seat" type.
Now, I like human interest and animal stories and romance, but if I'm going to pick up a romance book, I go for the mystery/romance type.

When I wrote The Forest Portal, I was going for adventure, excitement, and danger. Yeah, all of these wonderful ingredients are in there, but as the book moved along, I added a little romance in there as well, which I had not planned, but I'm glad I did. Spices things up a bit. lol!
It was tastefully done. Not really a whole lot going on there, but enough to make it interesting.

I feel that it is important to describe the thoughts and feelings of my characters. What they were thinking and feeling as they faced a dangerous situation, or when they were in pain, when they faced a difficult situation, or what they were thinking of each other in any given situation.
This makes the characters human. That is very important; to show the characters as human. I feel that the reader can relate so much better to the characters; feel what they feel, "see" their thoughts, thus, getting a better "picture" of them and their lives.

I have read some pretty intense books that I have not forgotton. When I read a book, I like to "get in" to the plot, to feel the intensity of what is going on in the story, to "be" the character or characters. I think it's important for the reader to really see the characters and put themselves in the story. They can do this with a well described, well written story.

2 comments:

  1. When I read I like to totally "get in to" a book. It started when I was young. I could go anywhere be anyone for the length of a book. Your book sounds like one of those types of books. Which by the way, I still love to read that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love a book that can really put you right in the plot. When I read, I like to embrace the character or characters by living them while I read.
    When I write, I feel that I am that character, or if I have multiple characters, I think it is important to become each one; to "get into their heads," so to speak. If an Author becomes their character while writing, I feel that the readers can become more invovled and feel drawn into the plot.

    ReplyDelete